Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Life Remembered

Jack passed away on May 21st due to the recurrence of a brain tumor. He was diagnosed with a Grade IV astrocytoma on May 8, 2006. He underwent surgery, radiation treatments and chemotherapy over this past year.

Surviving him are his wife Carolyn and their children Leanna, Kaede and Mac as well as his children, Blake and Keira, from his first marriage to Nancy (Lupo). He is also survived by two of his seven sisters, Betty Sabino of Quincy, Massachusetts and Beverly (Pucky) Roschke of Cincinnati, Ohio.

Jack spent his teenage years with his sister Betty, her husband 'Doc' Sabino and their children Barbara, Tony and Laney at their beach house in Green Harbor, MA. He graduated from Marshfield High School and attended Boston University. While stationed in Stuttgart, Germany, he served as a helicopter mechanic for the US Army.

His career in the restaurant business included The Elbo Room in Ft. Lauderdale, Hugo’s Lighthouse in Cohasset, The Last Hurrah in Boston and The Phoenix in Cincinnati, just to name a few. When he owned Ward Six, he was honored with a “Best of Cincinnati” award for the best mashed potatoes and was commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel.

An excellent bartender and outstanding cook, he enjoyed reading, playing horseshoes on the beach, watching Jeopardy and fishing. His sense of humor, honesty and obstinate Irish charm will be missed.

In tribute to Jack, an Open House was held at his home in West Chester, OH on May 25th. In August, a Memorial Service will be held in Green Harbor, MA. As he requested, he was cremated at Avance Crematory on June 7, 2007.

His family is grateful to the staff at West Chester Family Physicians, Good Samaritan Hospital, Precision Radiotherapy and Hospice of Cincinnati for the compassionate care he received this past year. Carolyn is so appreciative for the unbelievable support from University Anesthesia Associates during his illness.

Condolences may be sent to Avance Funeral Home and Crematory in Fairfield , Ohio, or posted here as a "COMMENT." A link to Avance Funeral Home is provided for you.

If you would like to donate to Jack's favorite charity, please mail a check to:
Green Harbor Beach Association
PO Box # 192
Green Harbor, Mass.
02041

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geri Syverud, CRNA previously at UC
Carolyn, Leanna, Kaede and Mac- I was so sad to hear about Jack's death. My thoughts will be with all of you. I wish I lived closer so I could at least come and be with you for an evening. Please remember that you all gave his life so much meaning. Sincerely, Geri Syverud Charlottesville, Virginia

Anonymous said...

The Kriegers, friends from Lakota Hills Swim Club
Carolyn, Leanna, Kaede and Mac, We were so sorry to hear of Jack's passing. We remember a warm friendly man who loved watching his kids at swim meets. We send support as you deal with your loss. Mick, Pam Barbie and Bill Krieger

Anonymous said...

Doug Dame, Jack's best friend

Carolyn, my deepest sympathies to you Mac, Leanna and Kaede. Jack was a true friend and I will miss him dearly. How may I help you and your family at the Open House? Love, Doug

Anonymous said...

Julian Goldman, MD, ASTM Committee
Dear Carolyn


My thoughts are with you.
I've missed working with you at standards meetings etc. while you have had your attention where it belongs. If I can help in any way at any time, just
let me know.


Julian

--
Julian M. Goldman, MD
MGH Anesthesia and Biomedical Engineering
Director, CIMIT Program on Interoperability
Mobile 617 827 2950
jmgoldman@partners.org
MD PnP Program: www.mdpnp.org
E-card: www.jgoldman.info

Anonymous said...

Flo and Jim, from ShapeExpress
We are thinking about you. This has been a long journey for you and your husband. May you have the peace that comes in knowing "no regrets". Jim and I are honored that you want us to share this time in your life with you and we will come by friday night. I am certain the girls feel the same way. You have handled this time with so much love and dignity. Know that we are thinking of you. See you friday. Flo and Jim

Anonymous said...

Jeff Graupe, tenant at Marshall Ave. works for the Cincinnati Reds
Ms. Holland,
I'm sorry for your loss. Let me know if there is anything you need done
around the apartment/house. I will be out of town May 29-June 7 with
the team but will help with anything before or after
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Steve Mawn, Administrator ASTM Committee

I am so sorry to hear the news, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sincerely,

Steve Mawn

Anonymous said...

John Griffith, Carolyn's cousin
Carolyn,

I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that God's angels to watch over you & your family, to provide you strength through this difficult time. We love love you, and our toughts are with you.

John

Anonymous said...

Annette Mueller, previous student at UC Nurse Anesthesia program
Carolyn

I am so sad to hear of your husband's passing. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May God be with you during this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Annette Mueller

Anonymous said...

Sem Lampotang, on FDA Taskforce with Carolyn
Dear Carolyn:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you in
this difficult time.

Warmest regards,
Sem

Anonymous said...

Jeff Feldman, Chair of FDA Taskforce reagarding anesthesia machines
Carolyn:

I am indeed sorry to hear this news. I know this has been a long
process and I hope you found family time along the way. My condolences
to you and your children. May you find comfort together.

Regards

Jeff

Jeffrey M. Feldman, MD
Division Chief, General Anesthesia
Dept of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Anonymous said...

JP Lawrence, MD at UC
Carolyn,

My heartfelt and most sincere condolences Carolyn.

JP Lawrence, MD
Assoc Professor, Clinical Anesthesia
Program Director, Anesthesiology Residency

Anonymous said...

Morty Rosenberg, Tuft's New England Medical Center
Dear Carolyn:
I was so sorry to hear about your loss and please accept my deepest sympathies. I have always felt a kinship with you for as you recall we both managed to have two children during your training. I have been blessed with Jim Phero as one of my closest friends and he has keep me up to date with you successful career and the difficult times you have had.

Lynn and I continue to the old farts in the place (and I am so much older for remember both her and Janet were my students), but she is still such a competent human.
Hopefully surrounded with family and friends to assist you, you will be find this time one of love and strength.
mort

Anonymous said...

Judy Ribak, friend of Carolyn, in one of her PhD classes
Hello Carolyn

Thank you so much for letting me know about Jack's death. You have been in my thoughts and I have been wondering how things have been going. I do know that you took the rest of the year off from school to be with him. I would love to see you whenever you feel ready to get together. Hope the summer is a healing time for you, and your kids. Please know that my thoughts are with you.

Judy Ribak

Anonymous said...

Lisa Dario, previously a personal trainer at ShapeExpress
Carolyn,

Thank you so much for letting me know this. Of course you are always in my prayers, but now more than ever. I will be stopping by on Friday afternoon. Take care. And, I know it was not unexpected, but I am still very sorry.

love to you,

Lisa